Monday, August 27, 2012

I could make that: Clare Vivier Foldover Clutch





My friend Liz put a bug in my ear about making a foldover clutch.  I went on a cyber hunt and found these Clare Vivier clutches. They range from $165-$200 each, and so begins my blog series "I could make that". Words we've all muttered at some point while shopping, am I right?



To you make your own you will need:

Two 12"x 16" panels of exterior fabric (faux leather)
Two 11.5" x 15.5" panels of lining fabric (Amy Butler cotton)
 Magnetic closure
12" zipper
Basic Sewing essentials

Difficulty level: Intermediate


1. Install the magnetic closure according to the package directions 3" down and 6" in from the top and 4" up and 6" in from the bottom of your first exterior panel (don't be intimidated by the hardware, these are really simple to install)
2. Place the zipper facing down on to the right side of the same exterior panel, leaving 1/2" from the left side edge. (top left) The long edge of the zipper tape should sit 1/4" down from the top edge of the exterior panel.  Use your zipper foot and and stitch 1/8" from the zipper teeth, starting a stopping 1/2" from the side edges of the exterior panel.  Backstitch at both ends.  

**Tip: When I install a zipper, I pin it in place, then open the zipper halfway. I sew until I am about 2 inches from the zipper pull. I Take my project off the machine, zip the zipper back up and finish sewing where I left off. This helps me avoid a collision with the zipper pull.  Of course, when I am starting from the end of the zipper, I start with it closed, sew half way, then open it to finish.**

3. Now take one of the lining panels and place it right sides together with the exterior panel sandwiching the zipper between the two. (top right)  Pin in place, and sew over the same seam that attached the zipper originally (bottom right). Be sure to stop and start in the same spots (1/2" from the side edges). Backstitch at both ends.


Flip the lining over so the wrong sides of the fabric are together and use an iron to press it flat on the lining fabric. Be sure not to touch the faux leather with the heat.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to attach the other two panels to the other side of the zipper. (shown above)


5. Separate the panels so the exterior panels are right sides together and the lining panels are also right sides together.  Pin them in place to begin sewing the panels.

**You can round the bottom corners, like I did in the photo above, by using a cup to trace the shape and then cut. Though, after making a few, I personally like the straight corners**


**leave your zipper half way open for this step**

6.Start by pushing the zipper seam allowance toward the exterior panels. Begin sewing at the starting point of the zipper seam and curve slightly out as you meet the side edges of the exterior panels and then sew 1/4" seam around the perimeter of the exterior panels and finish the way you began, with a slight curve up to the ending point of the zipper seam.  

(shown above)

7. Repeat with the the lining panels, but leave a 4 inch opening at the bottom of the lining panels to allow you to pull your clutch right side out.  


8. Pull your clutch right side out through the opening and press the lining with an iron so the raw edge of the opening turns in toward the wrong side of the fabric 1/4", then sew 1/8" away from the edge to close the opening.  Push the lining into the finished clutch and enjoy!!








4 comments:

Cal said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I have added it to my list of many things to eventually try!

Hikari said...

I can't wait to see what else you put in this series! Awesome!

Donna Baker said...

very nice - look forward to making one, thanks for sharing!

Tanya said...

You ROCK, Annie! XOXO