Friday, August 10, 2012

Listening


When you have children, you realize how true it is that they come with distinct personalities.  You can try to shape and mold them, but they are born with innate characteristics. It's quite awe inspiring actually, to watch a 2 year old who knows that free agency is her given right. By golly, she is going to use it! How do you let your children learn while trying to protect them? It's like walking on egg shells, being a parent, and you want so badly to be good at it, but you've never done it before. You're a student being asked to teach the most important lessons to the most important people and you're just praying you don't screw it up. I guess it's good there's someone listening. 

3 comments:

The Baldwin's said...

Annie, you summed up parenthood as being a student perfectly, I couldn't agree with you more. I have quite the feisty soon to be 3 year old as well, and she tests my patience daily :) I'm glad someone is listening too! Thanks for this!

Rach said...

Love that picture. And I still think you would LOVE some of the tips the researchers of Love and Logic suggest, particulary for toddlers!

www.loveandlogic.com

Toddlers are similar to teenagers in a lot of ways. Wanting to share control and prove their identity. I am not a parent, but I have taught these classes to many families who have LOVED their ideas and found them to be helpful. :-) Look it up Girl.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

So true. Also my children are my greatest teachers :)