Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hidden Zipper Pillow

Start by cutting your pillow front to the size of your pillow form plus 1/2". I used an 18" pillow form so I cut my pillow front 18.5" x 18.5".  Cut your pillow back 18.5" x 18.5"+ a few inches  ( my pillow back was 18.5" x 22").  You do this to allow a little extra room for your zipper .

Now, take your back piece and cut in in half so you have two 18.5" x 11" half pieces
Leave your front piece intact :)

 Press your half pieces toward the wrong side of the fabric along the 18 1/2 in. side.
 (1.4 inch on one and 1 inch on the other) 
*shown above*


 Match the 1/4 inch pressed edge up close to the edge of your zipper and sew down the entire edge of the fabric using your zipper foot. 


now, with your zipper attached to one side, match up the pressed 1in. fold with the edge of the zipper that is already sewn to the other "half piece" of fabric


 Pin it in place very well


 Flip your pinned fabric over and sew right along the edge of the other side of the zipper
 (the zipper will be upside down)

 You are cool, you just made a zipper with a flap (that's how you're going to hide it)
Now unzip it so the pull is somewhere inside flap, then cut the ends off both sides of your zipper
 Change to your zig zag foot and sew a few stitched to hold the ends in place. 
Be sure your flap is down when you do this!

 Now, trim the back of your pillow (the one you just made) so it matches the 18 1/2" x 18 1/2" front
piece.
Then, place them on top of each other with Right Sides Together and use a plate of a bowl to trim the edges on each corner. (This way you avoid "dog ears" on your finished cushion)


Pin the entire pillow together all the way around and be sure to keep the zipper unzipped. 


Sew around the entire pillow using a quarter inch seam allowance.
unzip and flip it inside out. Add your pillow form and you're done!



P.S. You can also fill in the corners of your pillow with stuffing to make them look extra full (it's what they do when you have them custom made)
Enjoy!

8 comments:

Samantha said...

GENIUS! I've been trying for ages to work out how to do neat hidden zippers and haven't managed it. Thank you ever so much for this, I'm your newest follower :) xx

THEBUZYBUG said...

I WILL HAVE TO TRY THIS. TFS!

Anonymous said...

Wow, how about you sell them to not-so-crafty people like me?! ;) Seriously though...they are adorable! And I really would I buy them!

I found this post through your link up on Free Pretty Things and I'm now following you!! :) Love your blog!

Lauralee

Sweetwater Style said...

I love your tutorial, it is so clear! I always have to look up how to insert an invisible zipper..I bookmarked this so I will remember. I am working with my graffiti artist son-in-law to create one of a kind pillows....this will make them sooo nice! Take a look at this post and see what you think. http://sweetwaterstyle.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-monday-mishmash.html

SLR said...

how did you know this is exactly the tutorial i need right now?!
thank you!!!

Jill said...

Great tutorial on the zipper part with lovely clear photos!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Sara said...

I would love it if you would share this at my brand new turquoise lovin' party!!!

Staci said...

I am so tickled to find this tutorial! I need to do this kind of zipper in the next week or so, and now I don't feel so nervous about! Thank you so much!